Thursday, February 13, 2014

The Snowy Day

It’s nap time on this snowy day, so I have a moment to relax and reflect.  Staying inside with a toddler in this weather can be challenging without continuous activity.  I try my best to have some themed activities for our 2 year old son, Sage.







































Today we read the children’s classic, The Snowy Day by Ezra Jack Keats.   I am a fan of arts and crafts, so I chose to follow up with a winter crafts activity.   I strapped Sage in the high chair and pushed him up to the table covered with a plastic table cloth.  I put on his Ikea apron and put some card stock in front of him with Crayola washable finger paint in paper plates and two paint brushes.  I let him exercise his creative genius on the sheets of paper and left them to dry.









































After the finger painted masterpieces dried, I drew an outline of a mitten on one of the pieces of the card stock and cut it out.  I traced the mitten onto all of the painted pieces and cut them out for Sage to embellish.









I placed a bunch of buttons in a paper bowl and some cotton balls on the table.  Putting Aleene’s Clear Gel Tacky Gluealong the edges of the mittens, I assisted him in placing the cotton at the edges to look like fur.  I then put dots of glue all over the mittens for him to add the buttons.





























































When his mittens were all complete, we hung them on twine from the 99 cent store with clothespins.  (Be sure to always write your child’s name, date and age somewhere on their projects.)

We will read the Spanish edition of, The Snowy Day after nap time ;)  Enjoy The Snowy Day.  




No comments:

Post a Comment